Re-coding the cats
Interpreted BASIC, in a 25 year old computer, is not fast. That is a fact.
Trying to improve the animation speed and reduce flicker, I did something I have never tried before. A look-up table of sorts.
The idea is simple. Calculate all the points in the cat’s trajectory while it jumps, and store them in a matrix. Then, animate the jump reading the graphic’s position from that matrix instead of calculate it while drawing the animation.
But I found two not totally unexpected problems.
- The calculations took about 5 seconds. During that time, the game had an ugly pause in the action.
- I found out that most of the flicker is actually because of the time it takes for BASIC to draw the graphics in the screen. Having no delay between the command that deletes the cat’s old position, and the one that draws the new one did actually create a flicker that was in some aspects nastier than before.
So, back to the old code.
The good thing is that it was not hard to implement at all, and I’m sure I will find another chance to use it.