I finally made it to RetroChallenge!
OK, not that they were going to reject me or anything like that, but the last 2 times I tried to participate in the RetroChallenge, something got in the way. (The last time was a trip to the US that allowed me to go to my 2nd “CoCoFest”, so I can’t complaint about that one).
At least, this time I’m writing the first blog post, and that is much more that I managed before.
I decided to take 3 challenges, 2 of which have been in my mind for quite a while, and I will try to write individual posts for each.
The first one is related to an old laptop a friend gave me for free some 10 years ago. An AcerNote730i (486SX,4 MB RAM)
It was clearly designed from the start to be a limited machine, as it has almost no expansion options. Just a parallel port, serial port, VGA, PS port and a floppy drive. No PCMCIA slot or network card.
The hard drive was clean except for some leftover DOS files (From a Windows 95 boot disk).
Eventually, I got to install “Maniac Mansion“, but never gave it the attention it deserves.
Then, the First Challenge is to install a full DOS and software package, including some games, utilities and productivity software in it.
The second challenge came to mind after writing a couple of games for my Tandy Color Computer 3.
I realized that I was always using the high-res modes, full 128 KB memory, and requiring a floppy disk (real or emulated).
But I had nothing that would run in the old Color Computer 1 or 2.
So, my Second Challenge, is to write a game that will run in any CoCo, using the low-res graphics mode (64×32) and no more than 16 KB RAM.
The third challenge is somewhat related to the second.
Not long ago, loaded all the programs I wrote in BASIC from 1985-ish to around 1995 and created disk images with them, to play them in emulators or in my real CoCo using the SuperIDE card.
A few weeks ago, while optimizing one of my latest programs, I realized that I could probably improve some of my old ones, creating perhaps a “Director cut” or “Remix” version of them.
Therefore, my Third Challenge is to look through my old programs, find some that could use some cleanup, and try to update them.
Well, maybe I’ve overextended myself…. Time will tell. I have 30 days and counting.